AppDynamics is an application performance monitoring solution that helps you:
There are two components in AppDynamics:
You can register for an AppDynamics account from either the Windows Azure Store or the Windows Azure Marketplace. We recommend Windows Azure Store for Azure application developers because it is built right into the Windows Azure Developer Portal, thus making discovery, acquisition and usage of premium services such as AppDynamics a seamless experience.
1. Log in to your Windows Azure Developer Portal account at https://manage.windowsazure.com.
2. Click +NEW at the bottom left corner of the portal.
3. In the left menu, click STORE.
4. In the left menu of the Choose an Add-on page click APP SERVICES.
5. In the list of app services, locate and click AppDynamics.
6. Click the NEXT arrow.
The Lite plan gives you a free version of AppDynamics Pro for Windows Azure with full functionality. The Pro downgrades after 30 days to a free version of AppDynamics Lite for Azure with limited functionality. You do not need to provide a credit card for this option. You can upgrade to AppDynamics Pro for Windows Azure at any time after the 30-day trial by clicking Upgrade on your AppDynamics for Azure landing page.
7. Click the NEXT arrow in the bottom right corner of the screen to access the registration form.
8. In the NAME field, enter a name that is unique to your Azure subscription.
9. Select your region from the dropdown list.
10. Click the NEXT arrow to continue.
11. Click the PURCHASE checkmark to complete registration.
AppDynamics appears in the list of add-ons for your Windows Azure subscription under the name you assigned.
12. Select the AppDynamics add-on and click Go to the AppDynamics web site for the next steps under Manage Your add-on.
You will land on your AppDynamics account home page.
1. Click Try Free or Sign Up for AppDynamics on the Windows Azure Marketplace at https://datamarket.azure.com/application/f9949031-b8b9-4da5-b500-c615f3f2a7cd.
If you choose Sign Up, you receive a free version of AppDynamics Pro for Windows Azure with full functionality, which downgrades after 30 days to a free version of AppDynamics Lite for Windows Azure with limited functionality. You do not need to provide a credit card for this option. You can upgrade to AppDynamics Pro for Windows Azure at any time.
If you choose Try Free, you receive a free version of AppDynamics Pro for Windows Azure with full functionality. You need to provide a credit card for this option. After 30 days your credit account will be charged for continued use of AppDynamics Pro for Windows Azure, unless you cancel your subscription.
You need one agent license for each role instance that you wish to monitor. For example, a site running 2 Web role instances and 2 Worker role instances requires 4 agent licenses.
2. On the registration page, provide your user information, a password, email address, company name, and the name of the application you are monitoring as you will publish it with Windows Azure.
3. Click Register Now.
You will receive your AppDynamics credentials and the AppDynamics Controller URL (host and port) assigned to your account in an email sent to the address you provide on the sign-up page. Save this information.
If you already have AppDynamics credentials from another product, you can sign in using them.
You will also be given an AppDynamics account home page.
You will land on your AppDynamics account home page.
Your AppDynamics account home page includes:
Link to the AppDynamics download site: from which to download the AppDynamics .NET Agent
You can access your AppDynamics account home page at any time by entering its URL in a web browser and signing in with your AppDynamics credentials.
To download the .NET Agent from AppDynamics:
1. Navigate to the AppDynamics download site. The URL is in your welcome email and on your AppDynamics account home page.
2. Log in with your AppDynamics account name and access key.
3. Download the file named AppDynamicsdotNetAgentSetup64.msi. Do not run the file.
4. Download the file named setup.cmd.
This is the same setup.cmd from in step 4 below.
This step instruments the roles in your Visual Studio solution for monitoring by AppDynamics. There is no traditional Windows wizard-style installation procedure required to use AppDynamics for Windows Azure.
These instructions apply to the AppDynamics Agent for .NET version 3.7.8 or later. If you downloaded an earlier version, please download the latest version of the agent.
1. Either create a new Windows Azure cloud project in Visual Studio or open an existing Windows Azure cloud project.
2. If you created a new project, add the Web role and/or Worker role projects to the solution.
3. To each Web and Worker role project that you want to monitor add the downloaded .NET Agent .msi file.
Note that while each role project has a single attached .NET Agent .msi, each role instance in the project requires a separate .NET Agent license.
4. To each Web and Worker role project that you want to monitor add a text file named startup.cmd and paste the following lines in it:
5. IMPORTANT: For each Web and Worker role to that you want to monitor, set the Copy to Output Directory property for the AppDynamics agent .msi file and for the startup.cmd file to Copy Always.
6. In the ServiceDefinition.csdef file for the Windows Azure cloud project, add a Startup Task element that invokes startup.cmd with parameters for each WorkerRole and WebRole element.
Add the following lines:
Your ServiceDefinition.csdef file will look something like this:
1. In Visual Studio, select the Windows Azure cloud project.
2. Right click. Select Publish...
1. Log into the AppDynamics Controller at the URL given in your welcome email and on your AppDynamics account home page.
2. Send some requests to your application so there is some traffic to monitor and wait a few minutes.
3. In the AppDynamics Controller, select your application.
4. Monitor your application.
See your AppDynamics account home page for links to documentation and videos.
The latest updates to this document are in the wiki version at http://docs.appdynamics.com/display/ADAZ/How+To+Use+AppDynamics+for+Windows+Azure.