Application server monitoring is nothing but the monitoring tools that reside in the application container like JVM or CLR for instance. Although these tools can pull JMX metrics such as garbage collection,heap utilization, process-specific CPU, etc. they don’t have the usual code execution details, flow maps, etc., that are found in full-fledged application performance management software.
AppDynamics' application performance management solution offers you the metrics of server monitoring tools with advanced troubleshooting abilities of an APM software. The limitations of server monitoring and the solutions provided by APM are as follows:
Key Benefits include:
- Visualizing the server health and mapping of your application topology
- Detecting slow performance of server by drilling down to code level detail
- Monitoring main server metrics and trend performance
- Sort out bottlenecks before they impact end users
Server Monitoring Tools Cannot Perform Automatic Application Discovery
With AppDynamics you can automatically detect, instrument, and map application topology, and know where the latency exists.
Most Server Monitoring Tools Do not Have Business Transaction Context
Application monitoring solutions can understand Business Transactions. This makes it a lot easier to optimize the performance critical bottlenecks based on which transactions they affect.
More About Server Monitoring
AppDynamics Lite gathers similar server monitoring tool metrics such as Disk I/O, Memory and CPU Utilization.
AppDynamics also offers following functionalities that are above and beyond the usual server monitoring tools . That includes:
- Business Transaction context
- Automated application discovery and mapping
- Dynamic and comprehensive diagnostics
- Proactive analytics-based alerting
All applications Java 1.5 and .NET 2.0 and above are supported by Appdynamics.
To learn more about server monitoring software, sign up for a trial of AppDynamics Pro.