Server monitoring is now an essential part of any data center monitoring architecture in order to build a holistic monitoring platform successfully. However, server monitoring alone cannot help you in monitoring applications properly.
What are some server monitoring tools?
Unix system administrators use tools like vmstat, sar, topas, nmon, netstat and top to monitor servers in real time. While in the case of the Windows, world admins use perfmon for real time monitoring needs.
What’s the problem?
The fact of the matter is that server monitoring tools do not provide any information regarding application performance. They can't tell you any of the following:
- Response time of every request to your application
- Components of your application involved in any of the transactions and where is the slow down
- Manner in which the application code performs in the run time
- Part of the application code that is slow
- Application functionality that is used, how frequently, and how does it function
- Application functionalities that are throwing exceptions
- How much a slow external service call affect your application response time
What’s the solution?
The advanced Application Performance Monitoring (APM) tool is the apt solution to this problem. The APM tools comprehend the inner workings of your applications that include code execution, the transactions running through and over multiple application components,the entry and exit calls to the application, exceptions and associated impact.
Dynamic application flow map that shows all application components.
Business transactions automatically detected, tracked, and classified.
A single business transaction's call graph with all timing, methods, and remote calls.
What’s the impact?
The APM products offers various benefits that include:
- Few bugs released because they are easier to detect and remediate.
- Reducing MTTR from hours/days to minutes.
- More stable production environment owing to better development and QA.
- Faster development thanks to less time tracking down bugs.
- Faster QA cycle because of rapid problem detection, isolation,and resolution.
For more information, visit www.appdynamics.com.